GENERAL LIBRARY HOURS:
Monday – Thursday 10:30am – 8:00pm
Saturday – 10:00am – 5:00pm
Morrisville Free Library Assoc:
300 N. Pennsylvania Ave., Morrisville, PA 19067
* For more information on scheduled events, please refer to the Morrisville Library Calendar by clicking on the red link above or call the Library at 215-295-4850.
* Please watch for upcoming events.
* FREE programs for Children.
Please see this Page for additional information on Library services.
2017 HOLIDAYS (Library Closed):
Mon., Feb. 20th – Presidents Day
Sat., April 15th- Easter
Sat. & Mon., May 27th & 29th – Memorial Day Weekend
Tues., July 4th – Independence Day
Sat. & Mon., Sept. 2nd & Sept. 4th – Labor Day Weekend
Mon., Oct. 9th – Columbus Day
Thurs., Nov. 23rd- Thanksgiving Day
Sat. Dec. 23rd – Christmas Eve
Mon., Dec. 25th – Christmas Holiday
Tues., Dec. 26th – Christmas Holiday
Sat., Dec. 31st – New Year’s Eve
Computer access open to the public.
ADULT AND CHILDREN PROGRAMS – Ask to see our yearly schedule.
Don’t forget our summer excitement:
- Summer Reading Program
- Science in the Summer
Programs may require pre-registration.
* * * * * * * * * * *
PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN:
Pre-School “Story Time and Crafts”: Mondays from 10:30- 11:30p.m. Please call in advance if you are coming for the first time. Phone: 215-295-4850.
All programs are held at the Morrisville Free Library. Pre-registration may be required. Please call the Library @ 215-295-4850 for complete information.
– Replacement cards cost $3.00.
– No library materials can be renewed over the phone.
– Patron must present a library card when checking
– Books may not be renewed if there is a waiting list.
- 3 weeks for books, CDs, magazines
- 2 weeks for new books
- 7 days for DVD
Number of books allowed per card
– 25 Books
– 3 books from new bookshelf
– 5 DVD’s per card, 10 per household, 3 from the new shelf
– Books, cassettes, magazine $.20 per day
– DVD’s/ $1.00 per day
Cost for overdue items
Adult HC/TB——–$ 5.00
Child HC/TB———$ 5.00
Adult PB——–$ 3.00
Child PB———–$ 3.00
Replacement cost for lost items vary
Brief History of the Morrisville Free Library
The Morrisville Free Library has been a grass-roots effort since it first opened its doors in 1904. That was in Mrs. Bertha Peaseys front parlor on Banks Street. The library was opened one night a week and the entire collection consisted of books on religion. Since then the Morrisville Library has been housed in various buildings in downtown Morrisville. At times the library had to close it doors. But over the years many good friends of the library have stepped up to the plate and kept the dream alive. These visionaries who volunteered their time and efforts have insured the continuance of the Morrisville Library for future generations.
In 1906 the library moved from Mrs. Peaseys home to the basement of the Borough Council Building located at the time on the corner of Washington and Chambers Streets. Volunteers went door to door to promote the library and in 1907, one hundred and sixty-seven patrons paid $1.50 membership fee. Dances were also held at the William E. Case School to raise money to keep the library going.
In 1923 Thomas B. Stockham, Jr. and Rev. Seaver M. Holden formed a Morrisville Library Board of Directors and the library moved into the newly built Morrisville Community House on the corner of Pennsylvania and Palmer Avenues.
The Morrisville Womens Club was another group that took responsibility for the running of the library. By this time the Community House was too small so another move was in order. On October 3rd 1963 the library moved into the basement of Summerseat. By 1966 the library was outgrowing Summerseat. So, members of the Morrisville Womenï¿½s Club went door-to-door collecting signatures for a referendum. This referendum proposed the purchase of the Episcopal Church on Pennsylvania and Palmer Avenues for the Morrisville Library. The referendum passed and this is where you will find the library today. This beautiful old church with its original stain glass windows and ornate woodwork found a new purpose. With help from local scout troops and many other volunteers the Morrisville Womens Club organized the move to this new location in October 1968.
Today the Morrisville Free Library has a collection of well over 25,000 items and a patron base of 7,000 plus. We have computer access for the public and offer a myriad of programs for children and adults. We work with local schools, senior centers and daycare facilities. And with the Access PA Program our patrons can borrow materials from anywhere in Pennsylvania.
2004 marked the 100th anniversary of the library founding. We celebrated with a big birthday bash for the whole community. We remain grateful for the foresight of those men and women who came before. And we are proud of our long and noble history. We pledge to keep the Morrisville Free Library serving the people for another 100 years.